As part of the national BSF programme, Drapers Academy were having part of the school refurbished. This necessitated a requirement for the full design and build of six fully operational science classrooms and changing rooms using SiBCAS Portable Classrooms. SiBCAS handled the design, the build, all associated groundwork and service connections to the facility.
- 745 square metres
- Single storey – Permaspace
- Total project value of £650k
- Science Classrooms
- Science preparation rooms
- Girls and boys shower/changing facility
- Staff offices
- Co-ordination of all Utility Service Providers
- Integration of all gas safety equipment
- Integration of new to existing systems – fire,sercurity alarms etc
- Completing the project within an active school site – during term time
- SiBCAS had to install a building across the playground area whilst maintaining access for staff and pupils
- Due to the site topography, the PermaSpace Buildings needed to have a specially designed temporary foundation.
After the design consultation, SiBCAS developed the client’s ideas and requirements into workable modular buildings; and offered advice on the technical aspects of the product, logistics, services and connections, planning and building control. Once the brief was analysed a number of cost saving strategies were explored. The most significant of these was the savings SiBCAS were able to offer by utilising existing services. The client’s brief called for new services to be brought onto the site by the utility companies. However, having determined there was sufficient capacity in the existing supplies, SiBCAS were able to ‘tap’ into these to power the temporary classroom facilities. This represented a significant saving, both financial and time on site. The installation of high frequency lighting as standard on this building meant all the lighting would be controlled using PIR sensors. This greatly reduced the energy required to light the building. Successful collaboration between the client, building user and SiBCAS meant the building was delivered on time and on budget, meeting the requirements of the end user.
“Very proactive contractor delivered project on time and on budget despite programme issues as a result of the review of government policy on academies in summer of 2010. Pleasure to work with and would use again.”
Sanmi Osunlola – Project Manager, E.C Harris
SiBCAS Case Study: Portable Classrooms, Drapers Academy, London.